Prior to vaccines to build the immune system:
- Take a good Probiotic daily starting 2 months prior to MMR and chickenpox vaccination if possible and continue for at least 3 months after the vaccine is administered. This may improve the vaccines effectiveness and decrease the number of vaccine reactions (including fever and diarrhea). These healthy supplements can also help resolve intestinal symptoms due to antibiotics, improve yeast diaper rashes, solve chronic diarrhea and improve allergic problems in order to better prepare your child for vaccines.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A plays a role in protecting the brain from vaccine side effects. Give it once a day for 3 days prior to vaccines and continue each day for 10 days after. Infants get 1500 IUs daily, toddler and preschoolers get 2500 IUs and older kids and teens get 5000 IUs.
- Vitamin C: Give it once a day for 5 days starting on the day of the shots. Infants should get 150 milligrams daily, toddlers and preschoolers 250 milligrams, and older kids and teens 500 milligrams or more.
- Vitamin D3 5000 IU once a day starting a week before the vaccine and continuing for at least 1 week after.
- Zinc: 15 mg a day. Start taking the day of the vaccine and continuing for 1 week after the vaccine.
- L Glutathione 100 mg once a day starting a week before and continuing for at least 2 weeks.
- Magnesium glycinate
To Decrease Discomfort with the shots:
- We do not recommend pre-dosing with Tylenol or Ibuprofen prior to the first injection of any new vaccine as it can mask the outward symptoms of an internal reaction. Once you have seen only some mild but tolerable reactions (like soreness at the site, or low-grade fever) we can decide together about premedicating for future doses.
- Breastfeed your baby during the injection.
- We will be using “Buzzy Bee” and “shot blocker” and rubbing the muscle for a few minutes before we give the injection to decrease any sensation of discomfort from the injection.
- You may want to massage warm Castor oil or to the site immediately after the injection and for the next 24 hours.
- Make a plaster of 1 tsp of Benzonite Clay (available at natural food stores or on Amazon) and apply the paste to the area where the shot has been given
To Detox After Your Vaccine:
To accomplish this we have made the decision to structure our practice differently from the standard pediatric office. This is why we use a membership model for our center. We have eliminated the bureaucracy and shredded the red ta
The body does a very good job of detoxification so our goal is to support the body so it can best do the work of removing any toxins. We use an Ayurvedic perspective to do this.
- The first recommendation helps the lymphatic and respiratory system. The body remove toxins by sweating and deep breathing. We recommend that on the day of vaccines you have your child run around and exercise for a total of 30 minutes. You can divide this into several periods of activity on this day. Exercise also helps relieve any stress from getting the vaccines. This can be by jumping rope, hop scotch, dance, bike riding, skateboarding, or any activity that gets the heart rate up, and breathing deeply which removes toxins through the lungs. These activities help the lymphatic system to move toxins out of the body through the circulatory system and sweating helps pull toxins from the body and out through the skin. We also recommend at least 1 treatment in our salt room or salt booth the day of the vaccines or during the next week. The salt room is safe for pregnant women and newborns since your infant is not going to be exercising. For older children and adults if you have access to a sauna that is also a good way to sweat.
- Epson salt baths: Epson salt baths before bed after vaccines helps the skin remove toxins from the body and soreness from the muscle tissue and also pulls salt out through the skin and toxins with it. This also allows for a good night’s sleep. Epson salts are great and are recommended for the parents also! A bath can be done every other day for the first week after a vaccine or can be enjoyed even more frequently to relieve stress.
- An Ayurvedic massage called garshana is another way to help the lymphatic system remove toxins. This is usually done with a raw silk glove which can be purchased on Amazon but for children the best way to do this is to just use a rough towel and BEFORE the bath or shower briskly rub the skin from the fingertips and toes toward the heart with the towel. Use long strokes down the long bones and circles around the joints. This is an excellent practice to do daily before a shower or bath and helps with energy and leaves your skin feeling glowing.
- Diet: Diet is one of the most important ways to detox the body and support the immune system. A diet of foods that are easy to digest are recommended the week after vaccines. A plant based diet is best of soups, broths, and juices or smoothies. Avoid cheese, meat, dairy, fried foods and processed foods and sugar for at least a week.
- Support of the liver and kidney are the last ways to help the body detoxify any impurities or additives in vaccines. Teas are the best way to support our liver and kidney while they do the work of ridding the body of toxins. The best teas are nettle and dandelion root (not leaf) and milk thistle teas. They can be sweetened with monk fruit or honey and children like the flavor of these teas. A half to a cup of tea a day for young children is all that is needed.
- There are some additional supplements that can be recommended on an individual basis after consultation with our Naturopathic physician.
Please call with any questions or concerns about this protocol. We can put in an order for the supplements at Fullscript and have them delivered to you.